Monday, September 3, 2012

A Year Has Gone and Went


A Medical Clinic in the Village
It's really hard to believe that a year has gone by since moving to Uganda.  Where has the time gone?  I wrote that there is a time warp here:)  Not really, but days fly and since there is no change of season here, it is harder to keep track of time.  The other day I was talking with a few Ugandan friends and was mentioning  that Aaron and my birthdays are in the fall.  As soon as the comment left my mouth, I realized they had no idea what fall was.  So I quickly explained about the seasons.  I do enjoy teaching the Ugandans about life in America, because they are so curious and it quickly opens doors up to mor conversation.

Living here has been beyond anything I could have ever dreamed.  God's plans always seem to turn out that way:)  Much better than anything I could plan, dream, or even imagine.  Some people have asked if five years ago we could have imagined this is where God would have us.  I just laugh, because honestly five years ago we had only been Christians less than three years.  So no, this is probably one of the last places on earth I thought we would ever be.  Plus, beyond that I would have never imagined a year ago that I would be teaching at the seminary alongside of Aaron.  That has been the greatest leap of faith personally for me.  Many don't understand the fear I had speaking in front of adults.  I can remember when we were visiting and sharing with churches, I would threaten Aaron not to put me in front of people to share.  At one point I did share in a women's Bible study with my knees a knocking and my stomach in knots.  So for me to be teaching in front of adults, let alone pastors and teachers, is a huge hurdle that God helped me to overcome. Every day God is showing more and more of who I am, how He gifted me, and what He wants me to do with those talents.  Now I look so forward to traveling back to the States in the spring and having opportunities to share how God is transforming East Africa by what is going on at the seminary.  It's so amazing and humbling to be a part of and I want to give God all the glory how it is happening.  I sometimes tease Aaron that he better watch out when we share at gatherings and churches from now on because he may not be able to shut me up:)

So I haven't done a very good job of keeping this blog updated in the last few months.  Every time I have thought about it, I get overwhelmed.  There is so much to tell, and many times I don't know where to begin.  In the last few months here are some things that have happened:  I have finished up teaching Marie and Joey school, went to Kenya, had two teams visit, taught at the seminary, started another school year with Marie and Joey while the older boys are finishing up last years curriculum this week, and am preparing to begin teaching again in another week at the seminary.  Much of this is just every day life for us.  I wonder why others want to hear about this or that, but then people will say that they love to hear updates of our life since they don't have the opportunity to talk or visit with us face to face.  Because of this I want to strive to do better at updating the blog.  I know there are some that don't use Facebook which is where I post many of our family and ministry pictures.  For those of you who don't, I would like to share some pictures below to give you a better idea of what the last few months have been like.  I hope you enjoy.

God bless and please continue to pray for health and safety for our family.  This country that we live in is absolutely beautiful but at the same time danger lurks almost everywhere.  Because of the diligent prayers of others, its why we can live and work here.  We thank all of you who take our family to God's throne regularly.

Teaching at the seminary

Morning teaching with Joey and Marie

Nick and Dylan at Hanah Moshi

Marie teaching/singing with the children

After a long day of ministry (health clinic and VBS)

Taking a break with great friends from the U.S.

The team from our home church, Urbancrest (missing Doss and Michelle)


Dylan and our dear friend, Todd at a local supermarket ( like the Santa hat!!)


Marie and a very good friend, Mindy.


Joey's 9th Birthday


Marie and Joey with Dad in Kenya

Marie dressing Dad up:)

Us in Kenya

Kenyan landscape

This is paradise!!!


2 comments:

  1. Dana, it's so good to read your update :) Haleigh and I often talk about Marie and your family. We miss you a lot, and I noticed you said, "sharing about things in the spring"??? Does that mean you're coming to the states for GIC? We are praying to be able to do the same. I love to see your day to day life, and hear how the kids are busy doing things right alongside you all. We pray for you often and miss you guys!
    Lots of love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Michelle. Yes, we are. We were going to wait three years before coming back for furlough, but we quickly realized that it wasn't going to work for the older boys. They need the opportunity to come back visit some universities, take the SAT, and get reconnected there before we leave them there for good after graduation. So since we are coming back next year, we wanted to be there for GIC. We all are so excited to see everyone. Hopefully that means you all too:)

    Marie and I talk about you all often also:) She asks how things are going for Haleigh, and how she likes living in Hawaii. I need to show her your latest pictures on FB. I really enjoyed your back to school pics and had to do the same with my kiddos. You ought to see the pictures of Nick and Dylan. I thought they were going to kill me, so I promised I wouldn't put them on FB. At least I have them for keepsakes:) Glad to hear that you are still enjoying MFW. This year we have begun Exploration-1850. Every year is becoming more fun as Marie and Joey mature. This year we are memorizing the book of James together. Sad to say, but Joey is doing better than Mom:)

    I pray for you all and love to hear your updates. Hopefully I can do a better job keeping the blog updated. You encourage me to do that when I see your blog updates:) Thanks for that!! Good work on your morning challenge by the way. Tell everyone there the Bogans say hello from Uganda:) Blessings!!!!!

    ReplyDelete