Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Lord Continues to Stretch

A few weeks ago I was asked if I would like to teach the Community Health Education class at seminary. My first reaction was to say, "No, thank you." But before I could, I heard myself saying, "Sure." Oh, boy what had just come out of my mouth. Now, don't get me wrong, I love teaching. I would rather teach my children then almost anything at all. But this isn't teaching children, this is teaching pastors and church leaders. Big difference. Plus, speaking in a public forum is my least favorite thing to do. Or I had convinced myself of this. So after saying yes, I began to prepare for the six hours I would be teaching. I would be required to teach on HIV/AIDS and anything else that would be pertinent for them to take back, so they could educate their community and church.

So starting on Wed. afternoon, I walked into a large classroom to teach health to over 50 pastors and church leaders. Talk about being nervous, but with God, all things are possible (Matthew 19: 26). Starting out I was extremely nervous, but quickly I calmed down and found that it was enjoyable. However, not all was enjoyable. Like the students constantly stopping me and saying that they couldn't understand my accent, and I was speaking too fast. There were others who thought it was funny to make comments on everything, or try to get others to laugh at their jokes. All in all I learned alot that day and to be real honest, wasn't sure that I was where God wanted me to be because it was hard. I was being stretched. So I said to the Lord, "if you want me to continue teaching at the seminary, then you need to make it very clear within the next two days." More than anything, I just did not think I was connecting with the students. I was pleasantly surprised the next day when I was looking forward to going back in the classroom. After day two of teaching, I was kidding around with the students, they were understanding me better, and I was enjoying myself. I was a bit surprised at the quick turnaround, but God doesn't mess around:) By day three, I was sad to see the class end. I so enjoyed getting to know the students better, having the ability to educate on health diseases and nutrition where they would have the abilitly to impact hundreds of others with the information, and having the opportunity to understand more about this culture and people. Wow, God was stretching and growing me in a way that I could have never imagined. Now, I'm scheduled to teach an English class and the Community Health class for the next term. I know more growth and stretching will continue to occur. I have a tremendous amount to learn, and it seems here in Uganda it is constant or just more obvious than back in the states:)

I also had the opportunity last week of holding clinic at the seminary when the nurse wasn't available. I continue to learn so much each time I do this. My nursing skills continue to grow and again He stretches me. Another responsiblity that I'm enjoying is the bookroom at school. It doesn't require much time, unless it's at the beginning or end of term. Well, last week was the final week of the term. So I was getting packets together for the instructors for their classes, preparing the textbooks for each class, and intaking books from classes that were finishing. I really enjoy working in the bookroom and organizing the curriculum for all the classes.

So if you would have asked me before we moved here, if I would be teaching and working at the seminary, I would have quickly said, "I don't think so." I would have told you that I thought God would have me working in an orphanage doing nursing care. To me that is what made sense. However, God had/has another plan to stretch me and show me His plan and purpose for my life. My job is to stay obedient to what He calls me to do. I thank God I didn't allow the fear stop me from being obedient to walk through the door that He opened, even when I didn't understand. Psalm 128:1 says,"Blessed are all who fear the LORD, who walk in obedience to him." I pray that I will strive to stay obedient to Him.

4 comments:

  1. Remember after stretching sometimes we need a rest. Some stretching going on here in Loja too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. We have plans at the end of the month to retreat for a few days in celebration for our anniversary. Looking forward to some quiet and rest. It is very taxing to go at the above pace, but Aaron and I try very hard to have down time and rest in the Lord when we can. Good to hear that God is stretching you on that side of the world:) Keep us posted on how things are going.

      Delete
  2. I'm so thankful that you were willing to go where you weren't your most confident! I know the Lord will be calling me to step into areas I'm not fully confident of too. Praying I stay faithful and watch Him work :) It's so neat to see little pieces of the plan of God unfold! Lots of love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, thanks for the encouraging words. I'm sure He will be and is stretching you. Even through what you are experiencing right now, God is preparing you for what is to come. It isnexciting to see how the Lord is working through Shawn and you. These last few weeks will be emotional and hectic at times. Rememeber through it all the purpose of why you are doing what you are doing. I have found here that at times it is most important to recollect and remember why God has called you where you are going. God is so good and gracious to love and direct even when we are not so good to connect with Him because of busyness. My prayer is to remember and direct my worship to Him in everything I do. We send our love and prayers.

      Delete